Friday, May 15, 2015

Dog Days of Dysentery

So in my last post about Kapas Island, I smugly highlighted some different camping approaches found between our group, and groups of local campers. One being a remark about the excessive use of fresh water while camping. I am here to eat my words (or crow).

Turns out, yes fresh running water is a necessity when 100+ people are using the same four squatter toilets (so is bleach). Where am I going with this? Well, I'll tell you where I ended up for the last four days...

What started the day after we returned from our weekender as a suspected bout of food poisoning (which is more common than I care to admit), I started to grow concerned when I couldn't shake it after the 5th day. On the third visit to the doctor, he decided to admit me to the hospital for fear of dehydration. After two days in the hospital, when blood tests had been done and symptoms had not subsided, it was concluded that I had picked up dysentery somewhere along the way.

No one likes being admitted to the hospital, and my hospital stay in a foreign country was no different...except perhaps the conversations about my bodily functions were much more bizarre and colourful than they needed to be, as language was often an issue. As it took a couple days for the doctor to figure out what exactly was wrong with me, and Tyler was away on a work-trip, my stay-cation came with its highs and lows.

In chronological order, I give you a photo story;

Ok, so for someone who is firmly not a fan of selfies, I will be the first one to tell you it's weird to have so many pics of one's visit to the hospital, However, as Tyler was away, and my family in Canada were on constant alert...photographs needed to be taken and sent. As a result, a reflection of my boredom, frustration, happiness, and disgust (for plain rice porridge). You can also pinpoint the moment Tyler left, and returned three days later....he makes me smile in all situations :)

If you haven't thought to yourself that I am being a tad melodramatic (because I am), let me tip you over the edge (and I swear this is true). After being in a windowless hospital room for four days, I walked outside to the pouring rain on a sunny day (cue CCR) and a rainbow stretched over the sky. Do you have chills? As for my health, I am gobbling antibiotics and happily on the mend at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment